Uncomplicating Fractions with Dr. Marian Small: $35 for CKEC Member Districts; $70 for Non-Member Districts
- Presenter: Dr. Marian Small
- Target Audience: General Education and Special Education math classroom teachers, interventionists, and instructional coaches (K-7)
- Description: The topic of fractions is a complicated and messy one for students!
Dr. Small, the author of Uncomplicating Fractions, will help teachers become more aware of the many issues in the teaching of fractions that cause difficulty for students and provide strategies to get around those difficulties to improve student performance. There will be a focus on fraction meaning as well as on the use of appropriate manipulatives.
Attention will be given to:
• preparing primary students appropriately for later work with fractions,
• working with critical fraction/ratio/proportion topics in Grades 4–7, and
• supporting students with gaps in working with fractions in higher grades.
Included in the session will be discussion of:
• how to make the big ideas related to fractions more apparent to students and
• how to differentiate instruction to facilitate student learning through the use of open questions and parallel tasks.
- PGES Connections: 1A, 3B
Location: Northeast Christian Church