Conceptual Building Blocks (July 17 – 18, September 24 -25, November 5-6, 2014)
- Presenter: Mark Helton
- Target Audience: Special education and general education teachers (grades K – 5), district/school instructional coaches, math interventionists, and low incidence teachers at all grades
- Description: The Conceptual Building Blocks is a series of three modules designed to build a teacher’s capacity to work with students in various settings. The approach is rooted in a concrete-representational-abstract (CRA) methodology of teaching and develops conceptual understanding along the way to procedural understanding. The areas of focus for the three modules are Addition/Subtraction, Multiplication/Division, and Fractions. The objectives are:1. To build teacher knowledge around the building blocks of numeracy
2. To provide strategies for teaching content and differentiating instruction
3. To develop a conceptual understanding of the core components of number and operations
4. To catalyze change within the school through coaching sessions
Teachers and coaches must sign up for ALL 6 days of the cadre.
Participate in three (3) coaching sessions with a CBB Trainer or a school/district instructional coach who has been trained in CBB (or is currently attending the modules with the teacher). The coaching sessions will occur following each of the module trainings.
Commit to implementing the elements of the modules
Location: CKEC Training Center